Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The History of "Cinco de Mayo"

Hey everybody! Happy day after Cinco de Ma----- be rrright back!! Sorry I just had to throw up. I haven't been feeling good after yesterdays Cinco do Mayo celebrations.

I really do love the holiday but I dread it coming around because I never feel good the next day. I'm sure you feel the same way if you follow the old "cinco de mayo" tradition. If you do not know what it is I'll explain:

<--- According to this guy, the term "cinco de mayo", in Spanish, means "the 5 mayonnaise." In Mexico they always ate dry tuna until one day a visitor from a strange land brought a bottle of mayo to make some tuna salad. This caused the 5 head's of the Mexican government to call together a meeting, because they were in shock with this daring but possibly tasty idea. They weren't sure if this mixture - of tuna and mayo - would work or be a disaster, however, they took a bite and the "Mexican Mayo Craze of 1778" took off! Nowadays this event is traditionally celebrated by the drinking 5 bottles of mayonnaise, in honor of the 5 head of government.

I'm really not feeling good now, but obviously you are all in my position too, because that's how everyone celebrates the holiday right?

Update: Turns out "Cinco de mayo" has nothing to do with mayonnaise - it actually simply means the 5th of May. Dammit.

No comments: